Duvel Draft - Info from Duvel Moortgat
Posted by: Todd on Thursday - August 28, 2008 - 18:25 UTC
Topic Origin: Beer News & Opinions
|With all of the recent Duvel draft talk and Duvel Moortgat saying in the past that they'd never release Duvel in kegs, I figured I'd go to the source to get the 411. An is in the works, but Duvel Moortgat told us that Duvel draft is indeed coming to the US very soon.|
Here's what we can divulge to everyone in BA-land:
* The kegs are on their way.
* The official public launch will be Oct 1 or the 15th, at 20 or so bars in NYC--followed by a wider release. This all depends when the ship arrives.
* It could be pouring at The Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sep 27.
* Duvel draft is not the Duvel Gefilterd "green lettering" version seen here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/5962 , even though the branding shows that Duvel draft will have green lettering vs. red and seperate glassware.
* Duvel draft is the same exact beer that goes into the bottle version. The only difference being that unlike the bottle, there will be no third fermentation in the keg, which means it's fermented only twice and will have a lower ABV (6.8%) as a result. Duvel goes through a primary fermentation and then a secondary fermentation in maturation vessels, the bottles go through a third (aka - bottle conditioning).
* It sounds like the goal of this release is to compliment Duvel in the bottle by providing the same Duvel experience on draft, with a slightly easier to drink beer (less alcohol) that will hopefully introduce the Duvel brand to a whole new audience of consumers--like draft beer drinkers.
So there you have it. You heard it here first and we'll post the official press release as soon as it's distributed. We're not sure if we're going to create a new entry for the beer though ... as it's the same beer. We'll make that call soon.
Personally, I'm still a bit leery of their messing with such an iconic beer and experience, but I'll save my judgment for that first glass or pour at the fest.
Founder & Chief Executive Advocate